We all have work to do, and we all want it to be done quickly and well. However, sometimes it’s just hard to fully focus on what we’re doing and we end up wasting our time.
Do you feel the same way?
Here are 7 tips for staying focused.
1. Find a place that makes you feel more inclined to remain focused. Sometimes, your bedroom may not be the best choice. Try the library and study rooms, where there’s no noise and limited access to TV and cell phones.
2. Take everything you need with you. Don’t leave anything in other rooms so that you won’t need to leave your workplace. If you interrupt what you’re doing, you’ll lose concentration.
3. Take some snacks to your workplace. For example, nuts, blueberries, or a chocolate bar. Take water too – avoid drinking too much coffee, high caffeine tea, or energy drinks: they’ll get you stay up all night long, and the morning after you’ll feel dead-tired and without energy to go on with your work.
4. Make sure your mobile phone and other electronic devices are turned off. We all know that we get distracted as soon as we receive phone calls, text messages or notifications from social networks. Only use your laptop when you need it: it’s always risky anyway, because the temptation to go on youtube and watch your favourite videos is so strong!
5. Create a timetable. If you have a long day/ night of work ahead of you, a timetable is necessary. Make plans, like having a 10 minute break after every hour of work. Don’t worry, that doesn’t mean you’re lazy! Your brain needs breaks to recharge after processing a lot of information. Try an easy to use, online study timetable like this one.
6. Write down your goals for the day. You’ll have a clear idea of what needs to be finished by the end of the day. Every time you complete a task on your list, tick it. This will help you feel more motivated to go on and finish your work.
7. Reward yourself. Sometimes, it’s all you need to keep yourself going. Think about something that will help you relax, and why not, distract a little bit after many hours of concentration: a nice meal, a film, or some shopping with your friends.
Is it easy for you to concentrate? Do you have any other suggestions for remaining focused on what you’re doing? Leave a comment and let us know!